- An Introduction to the Sciences of the Quran (by Ahmed Vonn Denffer)
The Demands which the Quran puts on every Muslim are:
· Believe in the Quran
· Read it
· Understand it
· Act upon its teachings
· Convey its teachings to others
Strive to live by the teachings of the Quran, since it is Allah’s guidance for mankind. This is the way to get close to the Quran and to grasp its meanings. To know about the Quran in application, observe in everyday life the way of the Prophet Muhammed PBUH who was described by Ayesha RA his wife, as “the living Quran”.
Also recite the Quran daily and memorise what you can.
To derive a proper understanding of the Quran we need to adopt the correct approach. Observe the basic prerequisites for the fruitful study of the Quran:
· Be fully convinced that it is Allah’s revelation
· Read it to seek the pleasure of Allah alone
· Accept its guidance fully and completely
· Mould yourself according to its guidance
· Seek refuge with Allah, seek His help for the study, and praise and glorify Him for His Blessings through the Quran.
Some useful hints for the study of the Quran have also been given by Abul Ala Mawdudi fro those who seek guidance from the Book of Allah:
·Read the Quran with a mind free from bias and preconceived ideas
·Read the Book more than once to get a sound insight
·Note down whatever questions arise, while you read and note down their answers, which will come across in other passages of the Quran
·Investigate in particular, while you read, which way of life the Quran suggests to you.
·Undertake more detailed studies after such introductory readings, and inquire about the various aspects of Islam and how it ought to be applied
·Do not forget that the real key to the understanding of the Quran is the practical application of its meaning.
Etiquette of reading and reciting the Quran:
· Keep the Quran in a clean place
· Seek only Allah’s pleasure not any worldly gain
· Concentrate fully and keep aside all other preoccupations
· Be ritually clean and sit in a clean place
· Preferably sit facing the Qibla
· Observe humility, tranquility and respect
· Begin with ta’awwudh and basmalah (seeking Allah’s protection from Shaytan and Beginning in the name of Allah)
· Read with a good voice
· Ask Allah’s blessings when reading a verse which contains a promise and ask Allah’s help when reading a verse which contains a threat
· Repeat important verses many times (e.g. duas in the Quran, and verses of special significance)
· Say “sadaqa Allahul Azeem” at the end of the recitation, and close with a dua that Allah may accept it from you
· Let no day pass without reading the Quran
· Do not read in a manner that disturbs others
· Sometimes read alone, sometimes in a group (family etc.)
· Reply to salam while you read
· Interrupt when you hear adhan
· Observe sajda at tilawah
· Memorise as much as you can
Etiquettes with the Quran:
· Cleanliness: in order to touch the Quran one needs to be in a state of ritual purity (tahara) to be obtained through Wudu, or ghusl as the case may be.
· Quran should not be recited in a state of impurity (sexual, menstrual etc.)
· The Right Niyyah: to seek Allah’s pleasure
· Points derived from Prophet’s Advice:
1.Recite the Quran day and night- regularity
2.Popularize it- invite and encourage others
3.Pronounce the words correctly- letters, words, length, pauses etc.
4.Think over it: understand what is recited- one should reflect, seek guidance and act upon it.